Sunday, January 8, 2017

Creatures



The groaning sound of howler monkeys surround me in this predawn moment, as I am overlooking a calm Pacific from the terrace of the El Faro Beach Hotel.

My morning blogging perch: the Pacific, two Toucans and am iguana!
For  the fourth year, I, along with my colleague Ann Becher-Ingwalsen, am privileged to be taking 18 students on a Study Abroad opportunity to Costa Rica in service to several organizations that could benefit from their work.

But this morning I am reflecting on the diversity of species witnessed on this trip, starting with an early morning wander through the Manuel San Antonio Park, a visit to the rocky beaches, and ending with a night tour of a local private natural reserve (as all the national parks in Costa Rica shut their gates at 4:00).  It was a day full of creature stimulation.

The highlights for me were observing a group of howler and capuchin monkeys on the trail to Puerto Escondido, and seeing a small snake, the blunthead tree snake, draped upon some branches, assuming itself the still posture of a branch, and thus barely noticeable.  They are no fatter than a piece of cord, and can get over 30" long, and will stretch its skin to consume a frog.  We wandered around this private preserve, flashlights from our small group flitting across the dense forest that would certainly evoke a horror film, learning as we went on how to spot these mostly tiny creatures.  Absent a guide from whom we could observe the technique, a solo wander would have missed this abundance of life, with only the frightful sense of what creatures lurked unseen in the darkness.  It was a wonderfully eye opening experience.  But also the diversity of birds, flora and fauna captured in my mind, and lens, is what inspires me to wander and absorb.

And perhaps the tale is best told through the lens of my camera, challenged as I was to capture these images adequately and hopefully, mostly in focus.  Though out of focus some may be, the memories are quite sharp.

A howler taking breakfast - I could watch, and listen to them,
for hours
Leaf litter in a stream - turtle habitat
Fugus


A rock crab evading detection

Mama and child Capuchin monkeys

This spider, a moment before on its web,
evading detection by flattening itself against the trunk

Definitely an intimidating creature, a type of scorpion spider

A common tree frog, of which we saw 8 different species

The blunthead snake,
holding this position quite long and still - branchlike!

Another treefrog - am I lucky or what?

A very large type of bullfrog

An anole lizard

Leaf cutter ants moving so rapidly it was hard to catch them,
except on my foot when I crossed their path.

A type of grasshopper blending oh-so-well into its surroundings.


I count six monkeys in this photo!

And of course these "creatures of the morning walking habit",
Peter's Walking Club 2017 with (L to R) Emily, Liz and Caty,
A dedicated crew these three - nearly every morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment