Sunday, June 7, 2015

Dear Henry Peter Caspar

Welcome to the world, Henry Peter Caspar!

And oh, you made my day.  I am here in Chicago, attending an international conference for construction historians, a somewhat dry and tedious third day yesterday listening to arcane and mildly interesting reports on medieval vaulting, when my brain said "enough" - and as I wandered a few blocks from the Palmer Hotel to the Chicago Art Institute, playing hooky from my convention to instead feast my senses on the visual arts, I received the message from Becky!  You had arrived - I fairly floated through the Art Institute, and indeed the rest of the afternoon and evening, thinking about you.

And of history, my dear grandson, you carry much forward in these tender first hours of life, lovingly cradled by your father Ryan Peter Caspar Hilger and Heather Sherman Hilger, in spite, I am certain of their mounting fatigue, and also by Becky Hilger, beaming in delight at your shock of hair and open eyes. And what of this history?  There are notes indicating the name goes back to 1594, but I have not found all the documentation.  But among brothers, I shall list your lineage as we know it, for this you can be proud:

Andreas Hilliger (1599 - 1684) Luttringhausen
Peter Hilliger (1638-1700) Luttringhausen
Andreas Isaac Hilliger (1678 - 1757) Kronenfeld
Johannes Peter Caspar Hilliger (1720-1788) Remscheid
Peter Caspar Hilliger/Hilger (1747-1803) Remscheid/Danzig
Johann Peter Caspar Hilger (1775-1842) Remscheid
Gustav Hilger (1814-1897) Remscheid (may have had a brother Peter Caspar - still researching)
Peter Caspar Hilger (1849-1930) Remscheid
Arnold Wilhelm Hilger (1882-1971) had a brother Peter Caspar Hilger who never married) Dusseldorf
Gerhard Peter Caspar Hilger (1933-2015) Sanibel,  my father who would be juming for joy at this news were he still with us, and
Axel Peter Caspar Hilger (1956 - ) North Oaks
Ryan Peter Caspar Hilger (1984 - ) all over, but Groton Connecticut for this happy moment.

and now you, Henry Peter Caspar Hilger (June 6, 2015 - ).

Welcome to our world and our history, and thanks to your father and mother for continuing this astounding legacy.  I cannot wait to hold you in August!

Love,
Opa















No comments:

Post a Comment