Thursday, July 16, 2015

Fleeting Encounters

July 15, 2015 - The Bike Stop, Haldimand County overlooking Lake Erie
70 miles

What a difference a day makes!  Though the day broke cloudy, it was rainless, cool and spectacularly beautiful. The roads were still beautiful in such a sublime picturesque way, but the headwinds severe - all day!
On of the many views

This day was different and remarkable for the people encountered along the way.  Consider:

  • Jim Hevenor, the proprietor and excellent chef at the Grey Gables B&B where I took refuge, explaining the story of the place, and his trip to Scotland, prompting us to scour a map and note that there was a roman wall farther north than Hadrian's wall..  
  • Or Jim's neighbor 3 blocks away, who, when I had stopped and decided, in the unexpected chill of the morning to ride in my sandals, summoned me over to his garden to sit on the bench and put them on.  His wife's garden, as she had recently passed away, tended lovingly by him as we chatted about my trip, gardens and what not.
  • Or the young man who sold me blueberries, upon seeing my Canada jersey, asked why I was wearing it when I wasn't from Canada.  "I was born in Canada."  "But how long have you lived in Minnesota?"  "Since 1980."  "That was way before I was born, therefore you are American, not Canadian."  "But by birthright we are both Canadians."  Smile.  Very good blueberries, and a tart!
  • Or the seller of burritos along the waterfront in Port Dover, whose signs were strategically placed many miles before Dover. He asked "you the biker?" "Yes, and I saw your signs miles away and had to check it out."  "The Owner is also a biker, and I ride a little, but tennis and soccer . . " and so the conversation goes.  The bikers idea to put the signs out where bikers could see them.   It worked, and the burrito is what the doctor ordered.
  • Or the many folks along the pier as I ate my burrito, commenting such as "you running away?" including the fat tire biker with a motor assist, with whom I compared notes and checked out rigs.  Or the older gentlemen from Toronto who was also a biker and asked intently after my route and trip.
  • Or Mark and Lisa Mitchell, and daughter Meghan.  I had paused on the side road leading to Selkirk Provincial Park and a campsite there, but decided the day was beautiful, the route hugging the lakeshore, that I should continue on, finding about 10 or so miles hence a yellow bike parked into the side of the road with a sign "Bike Stop" - a warm showers, bike B&B type of place that really just got started a week ago,  I decided this was the stopping place for the night, with a tent site right on, though slightly above, the lakeshore where I could be serenaded all night by gently rippling waters.  Gracious, friendly, welcoming and generous hosts, to be sure.
  • Or finally, Ruth McCormack from Chicago, another bike traveler who "booked ahead" and also rode from Port Burwell this day, with whom many biking stories were shared (of course), and who is making her first long epic circuit around the country, and both invited to an "impromptu" dinner of "a little extra pasta" by Lisa (call it a small mountain) that was a wonderful, warm way to end the day, full of conversation and storytelling.
L2R: Ruth, Mark, Lisa and Meghan over dinner
People often ask "don't you get lonely on these solo trips?"  That couldn't be farther from the truth - it's these encounters that make the trip so interesting.

My Campsite



No comments:

Post a Comment