Saturday, July 11, 2015

Training to Ride

There is something about trains.  It has become my propensity to travel by train to start my bicycle trips, as I do today on my Erie ramble, partly because:

  1. Amtrak will carry my bike in an oversize box (negating the oft frustrating reassembly process in the wee hours of a lonely, nearly deserted train station)
  2. Tickets are pretty cheap, and I choose to be so
  3. The scenery is different than flying - seeing the backwaters of towns and country alike
  4. The people are of diverse character, seemingly humble, many young
  5. There is a comforting rhythm to the rails - the romantic clakety clack and lulling sway still exists (but is admittedly getting quieter and smoother on the faster stretches)
  6. The pace is decidedly slower - like my bike trips - which is relaxing in and of itself.  And for Amtrak, on time is a miracle, delay is to be planned for.
  7. There is power to charge my computer for the duration of  the trip, right by my seat, so I can work and write these blog posts
  8. The seats recline wonderfully, and are not woefully jammed together for this tall fella.
  9. The stations seem to be experiencing a renaissance - local nostalgic pride at least in some towns where "quaint" rules.
  10. It's kinda fun. . .
The hectic pace and tension of travel in planes and automobiles is usurped by rail, as long as one's mindset accepts the slower pace, adapts to it, and takes advantage of it.

It is too bad that intercontinental domestic passenger rail is not more popular, does not attract the investment, or is better networked as it is in other parts of the world.  But that is understandable.  The mere geographical disadvantage we have of connecting people and place over such great distances make train infrastructure so expensive, and air travel so attractive.  And it just can't go everywhere like a car can.  But I sense that is starting to change - ever so slowly.  Amtrak's passenger count has been rising.  They have invested in new rolling stock.  Their customer service is so much improved, especially for a quasi government institution. And when Amtrak can eventually not compete with freight traffic, and use their own track corridors, time will melt away, passenger traffic will rise, those backwaters will pass in a blur, and that clakety clack will revert to a quiet whoosh .  

Much gained, much lost - living the romance of the rails today, "training" to ride tomorrow.  Think I'll lull myself to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment